General InformationJob Title: Director of Firmware Development
Location: Dallas-Ft. Worth
Reporting To: VP of Engineering and Product Development
WatchGuard Video looking for a great Director of Firmware Development to help with the continued development of our In-Car and Wearable Video Systems and associated products. This director will guide a team of around 20 firmware engineers to build our next generation of products, as well as maintain and improve quality of our existing products. This individual will also help improve our processes, making our team ever more agile and scalable, and our code base ever more sustainable and reliable. This person must be able to work closely with engineers, customers, customer service, and other groups to help gather requirements, develop solutions, and debug issues.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Manage and analyze the design, implementation and testing of firmware designs for new products.
- Be responsible for sustaining activities for product improvement of previously released products.
- Evaluate final results of design and test to assure accomplishment of technical objectives.
- Direct the introduction of design changes to the manufacturing and operations organization.
- Ensure that proper documentation, such as test specifications and procedures, is generated, reviewed and released during product development.
- Hire, develop, and evaluate personnel as needed.
- Resolve issues related to schedule conflicts, project scope, risk assessment and resource availability.
- Continuously evaluate and improve processes and metrics related to firmware development.
- Communicate effectively to others within the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or relevant engineering discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- Full lifecycle application development using C and/or C++ using object-oriented or at least object-based analysis and design techniques.
- Experience and familiarity with a full Agile development process, including continuous integration and deployment, tracking of project metrics, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- 7+ years of experience managing both direct reports and larger indirect organizations.
- Experience with embedded real time multitasking video product development, wearable devices, video CODECs, Deep Learning, and wearable wireless technology.
- Debugging / profiling / static analysis / code complexity analysis systems, such as Valgrind, Cppcheck, Klocwork, or Lint.
- IDEs, such as Visual Studio, Eclipse, or Clang. Build / CI systems, such as Make, TeamCity or Jenkins. Code review tools, preferably Gerrit.
- Oversees delivery of firmware engineering projects while supporting a unified culture, vision and strategy for the R&D team.
- Ensures department budgets, schedules, and performance requirements are met.
- Assures that individual and team goals are developed and measured for each team member.
- Analyzes data and proposed product specifications to determine feasibility of product proposals.
- Implements the appropriate level of engineering process, rigor, and cross functional review.
- Willing to learn and develop skills and knowledge.
- Base Salary
- Profit Sharing
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Company Benefits Package
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Non-Profit Volunteer Days